Thursday, May 10, 2012

God Encounter

Here is a snapshot of me a little over an hour ago…

My face was smushed into the corner of my favorite reading chair. My butt was sticking up into the air. My knees were firmly planted on the ground. My arms freely dangled off the edge of the chair.

Are you seeing it?


Exhaustion, weariness, and anxiety had forced my body into this very unladylike position.

As I knelt there motionless for a few minutes I prayed that the Lord would wash over me and fill me with peace and renewed strength.

Seconds later, my all time favorite praise and worship song came on. I drank in every word and allowed myself to relax. The Lord was answering my prayer!

Finally when my mind was clear and my nerves were calm I asked the Lord to give me a word. As I played Russian roulette with my bible pages I had faith that the Lord would speak to me.

After settling on a random passage, I scanned the pages of my open bible. Almost immediately, my eyes were drawn to the heading, “Rest for the Weary.” My eyes watered with the realization that the Lord loves me so much that he was willing to answer my meager prayer.

Matthew 11: 28-30 Rest for the Weary reads

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

The Lord spoke to ME this afternoon! It is little encounters like these that continually remind me that God is real and present in my life. He is not a far off unattainable God but rather an ever present source of help in my times of need.

I realize that the Lord could have been teaching me about surrender, worrying less, the power of prayer, or many other things.  But my mind was solely focused on the fact that it is moments like these that continue to reaffirm how REAL my God truly is.

Have you had a God encounter recently?