Friday, April 13, 2012

The Lost Became Found


One of my biggest fears came true last weekend.  I lost my four year old daughter at a crowded theme park.  One moment she was by my side and the next moment she was gone.  My husband and I searched for about 5 minutes thinking we would find her playing nearby but soon we realized she was nowhere near us.  At that point my mommy instincts kicked into high gear and I demanded that they get security to help us search. 

Ten minutes passed and she was still missing.  The security guards had still not showed up and I was beginning to shake and fear the worst.  Dark devastating thoughts plagued my mind and my hope began to falter.  It was in those moments that I knew I could not find my beautiful little girl but, the Lord could!  I took 45 seconds to call a friend and asked her to pray and to start a prayer chain!  The Lord was a part of this search party and I knew with him all things would work to His glory. 

Fifteen minutes passed and she was still missing. The security guards finally arrived and began to search with us.  I noticed parents glancing at me with those concerned and compassionate eyes.  They recognized the fear in my eyes!  A few women gave me “the nod,” I knew instinctively that they were praying and looking for my baby too.

Twenty minutes passed and she was still missing.  As I rounded a corner I noticed a few of the security guards walking my way.  Between them was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen…my sweet little blue-eyed, blonde haired, sweaty, smiley, baby girl.  As I picked her up I drank in her salty smell, her warm body, and her rosy checks.  She had no idea she was lost!  My playful little four year-old was more concerned about the water area she wanted to play in than the water streaming down her mother’s face! God restored my daughter back to me and I was overwhelmed with gratefulness to Him.

 Now, four days removed from that horrific experience I’m able to recognize some Godly insight concerning “lost” children. Our children can loss their way physically, emotionally and spiritually. I lost my child for 20 minutes but other mothers have lost their children for days, weeks, or years. Some have lost their children to drugs, rebellion, offenses, custody battles, sinful lifestyle choices, running away and more.  No matter the circumstance or duration losing one’s child sends you into a state of panic.

Read how Jacob reacted after he was told that his beloved son Joseph was killed by wild animals in Genesis 37:34-35. (Sidenote: Joseph was not actually killed; he was sold into slavery by his brothers)

Then Jacob tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and mourned for his son many days.  All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “No,” he said, “in mourning I will go down to the grave to my son.” So his father wept for him.

Moms, our children may wind up “lost” at one point or another and our first instinct will ultimately be to go out and find them. Praise the Lord, there will be times when they are quickly restored to us. Seasons will also come when we will have to wait on the Lord to bring them back.  Jacob had to wait a few decades before he saw Joseph again.  Whether it is a few minutes or many years the reunion will still be just as sweet.

Gen 46:29b-30 “As soon as Joseph appeared before him, he threw his arms around his father and wept for a long time. [Jacob] said to Joseph, “Now I am ready to die, since I have seen for myself that you are still alive.”

Our own strength is not always sufficient enough to bring back a “lost” child.  The Lord will have to bring the restoration. Thankfully, the Lord has equipped us with a powerful weapon in times like these…prayer! Continually pray and enlist the prayers of your friends and family because there is power in our prayers.

Matt 18:20 “For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”

Phil 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

I love Philippians 4:6-7! I believe it is written specifically for mothers.  Anxiety is inherit when it comes to serious matters regarding our children. The Lord reminds us to pray with thanksgiving because the breakthrough is coming. Then “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding” will carry us through these times of crisis.

 The Lord provides strength and comfort in the fellowship of other Christians during times like these. If your child has traveled down a path that has gotten them desperately entangled in the world, don’t hide!  Take the “45 seconds” to call someone you trust and ask for help.

Mar 11:24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

God is so good to place other people in our path that instinctively know what we are going through.  These people may give you an endearing glance, a squeeze on the shoulder, or hold a comforting conversation with you.  Many of them are strangers and some of them are friends but they are all placed there as a support network from God.  They are there to reassure you that you are not alone in the search party efforts.

Isa 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed for I am your God. 
I will strengthen you, 
Yes, I will help you,                                                               
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

Ps 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

 Our children can get so hopelessly lost that it is time to call in the guards. This is when you have to go outside your immediate support network and seek professional help such as, counselors, rehab centers, therapy, detectives, dropout prevention programs, etc. It is incredibly difficult, as a mom, to give up the ropes and ask someone to help pull your child out of hole they have fallen in.

Whether it takes 20 minutes, 3 weeks, or 5 years to find your lost child, take heart because the word of the Lord says, “For this son of mine…he was lost and is found. So they began to celebrate.” (Luke 15:24). I pray that you will soon be celebrating, as well.





Lord, I pray that you will find my lost child and bring restoration to our relationship. It is in you that I place all of my trust and hope and I believe you for reconciliation and healing. It is in your holy name I pray. Amen.



Additional Scripture:

 The Parable of the Lost Son: Luke 15:11-32