Thursday, April 12, 2012

Doing it All

The last few weeks my family has been commenting on how tiered, detached and dull I’ve seemed. Those are just the adjectives every woman wants to hear about herself…yah right!  I was noticing these things as well but I didn’t want to admit it to myself. Was I depressed or just in a funk? Like any sane women would do, I calculated my period in order to confirm that it wasn’t P.M.S. Then I took a pregnancy test just on the off change that God had a sick sense of humor and my husband’s vasectomy failed….it was negative (sigh of relief).

With hormones in check, why was I feeling this way? I started to do some soul searching and the power of the female brain revealed at least a dozen different things that could be affecting my mood. The list included lack of sleep, dieting, new family stresses, not enough “me” time, not enough time with my husband, lack of exercise, not enough time in the Word and that is just to name a few. No one specific reason felt like the culprit to my blue mood. I eventually put the soul searching to rest and called out to the Lord.

He is such a good God! This morning, I opened my bible to Exodus 18 and a piece of the puzzle was revealed to me. I will paraphrase the chapter for you…

Moses, father in-law, Jethro, came to visit him out in the desert. Moses told his father in-law about everything the Lord had done to Pharaoh and the Egyptians for Israel’s sake and about all the hardships they had met along the way and how the Lord had saved them. Jethro was delighted to hear all the great things the Lord had done and said, “Now I know that the Lord is greater than all other gods.”

The next day, Moses took his seat to serve as judge for the people and they stood around him from morning till evening. Jethro was every worried about Moses. He said, “What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone.”

Jethro then gave Moses some advice. He told Moses to be the people’s representative before God and to teach the people how to live holy and follow the Lords decrees. Jethro further instructed him to appoint judges that would hear the minor disputes and save only the difficult cases for Moses. Moses listened to Jethro’s sound advice and did everything he said.

Moses was doing it all! Does that sound familiar ladies? How often do we take on more than we can handle and then feel guilty if we don’t do it all perfectly? After reading this chapter I hovered over Exodus 18:18, “What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone.”

About a month ago, God called me to something new and I felt a check in my spirit to clear a few things off my plate. After a minor dusting of my duties I concluded my work was done…there was room for my new calling. I can now openly admit that I was still trying to do it all!

A wise woman in my life has encouraged me to determine what my top priorities are in life and to make sure those areas are well taken care of. Then if time and energy allows partake in the other activities. Balance can be hard to achieve but is always worth the effort.



Here is a link to a Priority – 30 Day Challenge worksheet http://www.chalenejohnson.com/30daychallenge/media/Priority-Worksheet-Day2.pdf