Monday, April 9, 2012

What’s the Plan?


What’s the Plan? How often do you find yourself saying those words? Personally, I say it almost every day. In the mornings, I discuss plans for the day with my daughters and most evenings my husband and I compare notes on the week’s agenda. 

For better or for worst, I am a woman with a plan; from pregnancies to parties to career. I don’t want to be caught off guard and I want to know that all the loose ends are tied up.

Presently, God is challenging me to lay down my plans and to trust in His plans. Our family is facing some difficult decisions in regards to my grandma’s health. Every inch of my being is screaming to, “MAKE A PLAN!” but at this point the situation is very fluid so future plans cannot be made.

The Lord has been bringing to my mind one of Grandma’s favorite sayings, “If the good Lord wills it.” Meaning, if it be the will of God then, yes, she will make it to the bookstore, to the doctors, out to lunch, etc. With this simple statement, grandma is always reminding herself to keep Gods plan in focus not her own.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Over 89 years of righteous living, Grandma has come to the realization that no matter how much she plans or worries it is His plan which will ultimately prevail.

Pro 19:21   Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
The Lord’s plans are always bigger and better than what our human minds can conger up. He can see the whole picture; where as we are lost in the fine details. I was reminded of God’s “big picture” plans this week while reading Exodus 13:17-18.

Exd 13:17-18   When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.

So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle.

The Israelites were at a tentative place in their walk with the Lord. He knew that great opposition could very easily send them running back to Egypt. The Israelites, like us, had their own idea of what God would do. They believed that they would have to travel through Philistine country and would face the possibility of war so “the Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle.” They had their own plan but little did they know that God’s plan would far exceed anyone’s expectations. The Lord was looking at the big picture.

By leading them through the desert towards the Red Sea, the Lord would perform an awe inspiring miracle of parting the Red Sea. “And when the Israelites saw the great power the Lord displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the Lord and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant.” (Exd. 14: 31)

Proverbs 16:9 says, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.” Although I may continue to make plans, I have decided to let go of the reigns and know that ultimately the Lord determines my steps. After all, I don’t want to miss a Red Sea moment in my life! Do you?

In the words of my Grandma, “If the Lord wills it, I will post again soon.”